Photo credit: Aaron Burden via Unsplash
October is grand, isn’t it? The leaves change, humidity (mostly) disappears, and we can strategically avoid those aisles in the stores already displaying Christmas decorations. I don’t know about you, but I feel as though fall should be savored. It’s too delightful to rush through.
Here in our neck of the woods, the boys played a bit of soccer, gave archery lessons a try, and our middle schooler joined the wonderful community of Young Life. This is also vacation time for us as they take a three week break from school. Although we weren’t able to travel this time, the boys enjoyed their first helicopter ride and an outing to a local farm.
On a personal note, I look forward to October because of Write 31 Days, an opportunity for bloggers to post every day about a specific topic for the entire month. This year I attempted to broadcast on Periscope every day for 31 days. I had never used Periscope before and only watched two broadcasts before I started. Initially it was fun but the novelty wore off about ten days ago. I’m proud of myself for trying something new and it is a brave, new world in terms of a social media platform. Probably won’t invest a lot of time and energy there unless I have big news to share: publishing contract, cover reveal…you know, huge writerly stuff.
In no particular order, here’s a random list of what else I’m into:
- I’m REALLY into the Unsplash website. If I haven’t already mentioned it 134354 times, it’s filled with amazing photos, like the one featured above. I could scroll and scroll and scroll … the best part is, it’s all FREE. You’re welcome.
- Country artist Cam’s live acoustic cover of Adele’s new song, ‘Hello‘. I listen to The Bobby Bones Show almost every day. It’s a syndicated morning radio show and Bobby Bones features up and coming artists, particularly women in country music. Cam’s song ‘Burning House’ went gold recently and it probably wouldn’t have happened if Bobby hadn’t featured her. Anyway, click on the link to hear her cover the song. It’s amazing. Also go download ‘Burning House’.
- A bit late to the party, I know, but I dipped my toe in the podcast pool last month and it’s quite enjoyable. Jamie Ivey’s ‘Happy Hour’ is my fave. My friend told me Rob Bell is doing a series on forgiveness, so I’ll give that a go in November.
- Have you seen Rob Lowe and Fred Savage’s new show The Grinder on Tuesday nights on FOX? They are quite funny together. It’s fairly clean, too, so no worries if the kids happen to catch a few minutes. And then there’s Rob Lowe. Still nice to look at after all these years.
- So many good books, not nearly enough time … tis’ the season for delightful new releases. I just finished Jan Karon’s Come Rain or Come Shine, the latest novel in her Mitford series. So good!
Rachel Hauck is another author who’s novels I always read. The Wedding Chapel releases mid-November and I finished an advanced copy last night. Poignant. Might leave you teary-eyed. A beautiful redemption story that I highly recommend. You can pre-order a Kindle copy here.
- We’re big dessert people. I’m slowly
dragging enticing the picky eaters into more adventurous territory and I’m not above bribery. Hence the need for an appealing dessert.
After devouring these at a friend’s house last month, I came home and Googled the recipe. So easy. Funfetti Chocolate Chip Blondies are a huge hit around here. Thanks to Baked by Rachel for posting the scrumptious recipe and beautiful photo.
That’s a wrap on this edition of What I’m Into. I’d love to know what you’re in to these days. Please leave a comment below or even better, write your own post and link up with Leigh Kramer, our lovely hostess.