When I saw the prompt for this week’s Broke and Bookish link, two things happened: I saw the posse from the movie The Breakfast Club (I know, I know that’s not a book) and I envisioned Owen from John Irving’s A Prayer for Owen Meany. The fictional characters that I create myself live on in my head forever. Those created by others? Not so much. So I’ve done what many a blogger does when the words (or book titles) won’t flow … consulted another reader. Consider this an unofficial guest post from The Husband. This is his list of ten book characters sitting at his lunch table. Enjoy!
- Jesse Stone, created by by Robert B. Parker
- Joe Makatozi, Louis L’Amour’s Last of the Breed
- Jubal Sackett, Louis L’Amour’s novel by the same title
- Robert S. Johnson, from his biography Thunderbolt!: An Extraordinary Story of a World War II Ace. Details here.
- Jay Leutze, Stand Up That Mountain
- Will Cooper, Charles Frazier’s Thirteen Moons
- Inman from Charles Frazier’s Cold Mountain
- Louis Zamparini, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- Mike Raglan, Louis L’Amour’s Haunted Mesa
- Frank Machianno, Don Winslow’s The Winter of Frankie Machine
Okay, so I have to admit … That would be a fun lunch table, testosterone-laden as it may be.
How about you? If you could have lunch with one (or ten) characters from a book, who would you choose?